The aim of the workshop was the construction of a prototype of a single module from the proposal for the studio project: Hyperbordered Port. The important thing was the development of the unit referring to the entire system.
The prototype of the unit was developed in order to study the function of the hydraulic system in the module. The element used for the hydraulic system were the syringes. The syringes were connected such a way that the water pushed in one side was used to lift a surface besides.
The same hydraulic concept was used to build a system of the units. This piece shows the interaction of the modules
This exercise was helpful to understand the function of a unit in order to come back to the project with the same hydraulic concept.
Mobility networks, flows and interactions were mapped along the second term of RS1 Emergent territories studio, for the final submission,the approach of the mapping changed from the midterm in means that the scale was reduced, while before, we were studying these inputs in the port but also along the coast, now the site of study was reduced to only the port, after its punctual importance was determined as a part of the whole system which had to be studied in a precise and more acute way.
These flows and networks generate a series of invisible patterns and happen mostly in a infrastructure of visible roads, in this case we identified the different types of movement happening on site, the agents of movement, whether they are people or vehicles, the speed, percentage of occupancy of the infrastructure, and how this oscillates in given timetable of 24 hours. We were able to determine that the capacity of the existing infrastructure is used from a 20% to an 80%, leaving a 20% time gap of opportunity in the mapped hours. Having learned this we now understand how and why the flows are working the way they do, how to intervene or re-estructure them, and how it could become a more efficient network with the use of “urbiotic” technology.
Being the goal to optimize the port, cruise activity, overseas and city activity all into one project, one that introduces the port of the future, where this logistics are no longer limited to the formality/spatiality of the existing port, but become as flexible as required to fulfill the needs its serving.